So, there's not real set musical theme with this blog's entry (I know you're sad, but it will come back one day), so instead, I used the title of a movie. :)
It's been a while since I've posted my last blog on here. Things have just been absolutely crazy lately with classes, random birthday celebrations (apparently October was the month to have babies between 84-87), and life in general. Way too much has happened, so now I'm meshing everything together in my head now so this post is actually quite short. Maybe I'll forgo this new approach where I wait to write everything, because it only worked that one time. So, you may now get sporadic messages saying I've updated...even if it's 2 days apart. You're probably not even THAT interested in my life, but hey, I'm here to share, so look as you will. :)
So, what are some major points that I should put on here?
- Life in London is wonderful. Lately I've really begun to feel "at home." I'm missing many of you guys back in the States (and family of course), but I really feel at peace here, and I can't explain it. Maybe because I'm also finding comfort in some new and amazing friends from all over. I don't know, but I'm LOVING it!
- For those of you who know my weight struggles, I'm happy to report that I have officially lost a dress size! How you ask? Because I am beginning to walk EVERYWHERE. I walk to and from school nearly every day (10 minutes or so each way); anytime I need to head to central London, I go to the closest Tube station (3-5 minutes away) and then I walk all around there. This weekend has even helped me more! On Saturday I met up with a good friend of mine over here, Virginie, and we walked from Camden Town to Little Italy to Paddington Train Station and down to Oxford Street. For those who are unfamiliar with London, it was an equivalent of over 7 miles! We just strolled along chatting, taking photos, exploring shops, etc. but it was incredible. And then, yesterday (Sunday) I met up with another friend of mine, Vanessa, and we went to the Portabello Road market (many antique collections and 2nd hand booths) and then walked up through Notting Hill and ventured around in Holland Park for a bit (those squirrels there are PSYCHO by the way). All in all, we wound up walking for about 5 miles! Now, in the States I used to NEVER walk...the convenience of a car overcame my desire to walk anywhere...but wow...I'm LOVING it now!
- Classes are seeming to go well. My Service Marketing class is very boring, and I don't think the professor likes me since I'm "from the States and ask a lot of questions." Yeah, he kind of hinted at that when I approached him at the end of the class. But, I don't know care...I want to learn, and you can't learn if you don't have your questions answered. Plus, he teaches directly from the PowerPoints (which we can get online the day before), so I come prepared with questions if he doesn't explain the slide well enough. Marketing Research is another "interesting" class. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I think I may have finally chosen a topic for my dissertation! As for Marketing Communication (MarComm), I'm absolutely loving it!
[This is the sort of thing I longed for at Mercer and got in some respect from TCO. A special thanks to Dr. Davis and Dr. Grady who said they could see me in this field. Actually, looking back at my grad school search process, they are the ones who got me thinking of the Marketing Communications field. So, yay and MANY thanks to them! :D]
The timing of this class is actually quite bad since the lecture is from 9:30am-11:00am and then the lecture isn't until 3:00pm-4:30pm on a FRIDAY, but for some reason that isn't even bothering me. I feel so motivated to go to this class, and I'm VERY MUCH looking forward to the group project! We're being consultants for an electronics store on one of the main electronic hubs in downtown London (can't tell you which one...sorry). This past lecture class we had the opportunity to ask the "top guys" questions about their company, previous strategies, etc. That was really cool. Although, it was also a little awkward since there were about 70 of us in the room...some of the questions I had I didn't want to share, as every other group in the room is also working with that client...and the client is going to try to implement the "winning idea." But, as I learned in business, you should meet the people you're going to work with. After most of the class had left, I went up and introduced myself. So...in their company culture, that might not have been the best idea. One of the guys didn't mind too much and chatted for a bit, but the other guy shook my hand and walked away. It was kind of awkward. I think they said he was from some middle-eastern country (can't remember which one, so I'm sorry), but it was definitely not the reaction I expected while being in the UK. I was a bit offended, to be honest. But then, I know that it drives me to "win" even more! So yay!
- On a personal note, I am please to announce that both of my sisters are pregnant AND one of my sister's in law! CRAZY timing! Something must be in the water back in the States because I still have my 5-6 friends who are also pregnant! Sorry for those curious...won't be happening for me ANY time soon. I'm enjoying the single life for now and don't want to settle down with anyone until my own life has settled down. (Which, I think for me, is smart.) :)
- Hm...what else? Nothing really, except that I want to repeat how much I'm loving my life over here. I feel very fortunate, blessed, honored, etc. to have this opportunity...and I will not take it for granted like I did last time. I'm enjoying meeting everyone in my program (I think I have everyone's names memorized now) and embracing their cultures. I don't know why, but I'm so intrigued with the cultures of the people in my program (mainly the French, since I am moving there after all), but it's really cool. We're such a dynamic group of people of all ages and backgrounds. It's incredible! I LOVE IT!
So, I said this would be a short blog, but I guess I can never write anything short (I have to be careful for my papers here, as they have either a 1,000 or 3,000 word limit imposed...yikes). But, I hope you have enjoyed. As always feel free to write a comment! :)
19 October 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm glad you are having a good time in London! Have you been to all the museums yet?
ReplyDeleteFrom Becka Carney (Krista's stepdaughter :p)
Haha.. you too with the October babies!?! I see the same pattern among my friends. :o)
ReplyDeleteHaving and making new friends in a new place certainly helps with whatever homesickness you may be feeling. Plus, you've been so busy that it's hard to take the time to really process that you are where you are, you know? I'm happy you're loving it. ^^
YAY FOR WALKING!
"...I want to learn, and you can't learn if you don't have your questions answered."
- You are preaching to the choir on this one! I feel the same way! :oD
Huh, sounds like a consulting gig. I'm sure you weren't the only one to hold your tongue with the questions. How crazy that everyone was in there at the same time!
Single life = awesomeness
Yay! I doubt my euphoria is at the same level as yours, but I've been pretty happy lately. It's good to be busy!! Thanks for the blog update reminders!
Congratulations on the dress size drop! And in the span of a a fairly short time...so as your dress size drops....mine will inevitably increase ;o)
ReplyDeleteEnjoy every minute and it makes me so happy to hear that you are loving MarCom, IMHO, I think it's a much more interesting field for you and a better fit then Technical writing. (Yeah!)
Love, Krista
You go girl! So delighted to hear that you are enjoying your courses and may have found a topic for your thesis already (that was quick!). Isn't life grand without a car...you know that I'm a health nut and walk as much as I can also. But, isn't it nice to incorporate walking into your daily routine...those pounds will continue to melt away!!!
ReplyDeleteTake care and have fun.
Dr. G.
Hey there Stephanie! That's great you are having a great time and loving it too:) Great about all the walking - Americans overall don't walk enough - myself included. My sister lived in Florence for year and walked everywhere, for about the first month or so when she returned home she walked everywhere as well. I think I walked more in August while in DC - than I have in a while. I wish you luck with your studies and life in London. Haili
ReplyDelete