02 September 2009

Oh, Happy Day!

If you haven't realized by now, I tend to correlate my life with song titles (or is it vice-versa? Anyhow, today has definitely been a happy day! It started off a bit earlier than my mind and body would have liked (9:00am...which I know is not actually all that early...and especially feels early when you're up until after 3:00am), but a LOT was accomplished!

First on the agenda this morning was to finish going through some small, trivial piles that had begun accumulating. It took me a while, but we (my mom was still here) managed to put everything in boxes or the trash. When that was finished, we tackled bit of my kitchen (things that we knew were give-a-ways to Salvation Army). After the kitchen sorting, we pressed onward to my storage garage (which mind you, looked like a tornado had come through it was so full of crap-crap that had accumulated from random Deltasig functions, boxes from my last move 2 years ago, camping equipment, tennis and golf equipment, and the list goes on). After a nearly half the day we finally managed to sort out the trash from the donate to the keep.

Somewhere in the middle of going through the garage items, Salvation Army came by (they had given me a good estimate of 9:30am-5:00pm...how on earth is this a good time estimate I wonder...) and towed away half my apartment. My apartment is now half empty and bare, but it's looking great! The only rooms that still have things in them are the dining room (which is housing the dining room furniture and several boxed goods), my sun room (which we deemed the box drop-off area...we fill a box and then set it in there), my bathroom (which I haven't cleaned much of...minus clearing out old toiletries and linens), and my bedroom (which I have yet to touch).

Tomorrow I have plans to meet up with my sister for lunch, so I'm giving myself the morning off. It will be a nice, needed break away from the apartment. I've been feeling like a hermit crab lately by just staying in. My best friend from Freshman year of college (Jen) is coming down tomorrow to spend the night (though I'm not sure if she knows yet that she's sleeping on a floor since I have no furniture). We plan to have a British movie marathon from a selection of the following movies:

Shakespeare in Love
The Queen
The Other Boleyn Girl
Pride and Prejudice
Bridget Jones' Diary
Bridget Jones' Diary 2
Love Actually
Last Chance Harvey
Notting Hill
The Holiday
Green Street Hooligans


Most are romantic comedies of course, but I'm also open to any other suggestions some of you may have to offer! I'm definitely looking forward to sitting on the floor and having to possibly watch the movies on my laptop. It will be a fun and memorable night for sure. I guess sometime tomorrow I'll be packing the rest of my bathroom and the things I know I won't use in the next couple of days-and cannot take over to London with me (such as my hair dryer, straighteners, and whatnots since the voltages over there would blow up my electronics - yes, it has happened to me in the past...I blew out an entire wall of electric sockets and their appliances in Dublin, Ireland during my first visit over).

Thursday is the day I plan to really get down to business and pack up my bedroom. This may become a two-day venture, but it will be finished (and has to be) by Saturday for my move back up to my parent's house. It typically wouldn't be too much of a problem to get it done by then, except that my Thursday night is possibly taken and my Friday morning and afternoon is completely out of the question. On Friday I'm actually meeting up with Melissa (my flatmate in London, who in the States lives in the next county over from my parents) to call several letting (apartment rental) agencies. Apparently they work much better by phone than email. (I say that statement because most agencies have been unresponsive to several emails sent by either of us. The last time I was over there and called an agency, 5 minutes into the conversation they had a property for me to view.)

We are hoping and praying that we will have several pre-booked viewing arrangements for when we arrive and our hope is to settle a contract by the 12th. We are being very ambitious, but know that it IS possible when you have a little faith! Please continue to keep us in your thoughts and pray that this heavy burden will be lifted off from us within the first day of viewing.

Well, it is now getting late, so I will sign off. I do apologize for the lengthiness of this, and other, blogs. As said before, I write in a "free" state of mind and just let the words gather on the screen as they will. I am not sure that I will be able to post on here for a while, so I wish everyone a safe and blessed rest of the week! :)

My September Schedule | * Signifies tentative dates
7 :: Fly out to London
8-12 :: Flat hunting and hopefully signing a contract.
17-21 :: Munich, Germany for Oktoberfest
23-24 :: *Dublin, Ireland to see my aunt and her boyfriend.
27-30 :: *Rachel comes to visit for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment